Knowing what to see and what to keep prior to moving is an important part of decluttering your house before moving. Also, decluttering is an essential for organizing a smooth move that will ensure that moving is as quick and efficient as possible. This is why you should always put an effort into getting your home ready for the move.
And this is something you should keep in mind when hiring professional moving services in San Diego. When movers arrive into a home that is prepared for the move, you can expect them to be a lot faster with the entire process, allowing you to settle into your new home sooner. So, here’s what you should sell, and what you can keep when moving.
What should I sell before moving?
When you’re planning a move, it’s unwise to keep all of your items and transport them to your new home. There are some belongings you should sell. On the one hand, it will help keep your new home clutter-free in the beginning and, on the other hand, you can earn some money to help pay for professional movers. Let’s see what items you should consider selling before moving:
- Furniture – Take measurements of the furniture in your existing home, and then see if it will fit in your new home. If not, you should definitely sell it rather than move it and try to find a place for it in your new house.
- Electronics – If you’ve got some old electronics around your home, and you’re no longer using it – sell it. The best way to get rid of old electronics is to list it online and wait a bit before a buyer comes.
- Clothes – You should always sort through your clothing before moving, and set aside the clothes you’re no longer wearing. Take all the clothing items that are still in great shape, and sell them in a garage sale.
- Toys – Similarly to sorting your clothes, you should also go through all of your kids’ toys, select ones that are in good shape and that your children are no longer interested in, and either list them online or sell them in a garage sale.
- Books, movies, and CDs – If you’re a collector of books, movies, or CDs, you should be aware of the fact that all these can fetch a pretty penny online, especially if they’re rare. A great way to earn some money while getting rid of the clutter.
- Tools – If you’ve got a garage overflowing with tools you’re no longer using, you should definitely sell them and earn some money prior to the move. Tools are heavy, bulky, and you don’t want to haul them if you don’t need to.
What should I keep before moving?
However, you should not sell everything when moving. There are some belongings you should think about keeping and moving to your new home. Here are the items you should always bring to your new home:
- Kitchenware: Kitchenware takes little room, it’s easy to pack and move, and it’s essential. Imagine coming to your new home, cooking a celebratory dinner, only to find you have nothing to eat it with.
- Paper records: Always bring all of your important documents with you. Keep items such as loan statements, medical records, and banking installments close, and bring them with you to your new home.
- Prescription medication: Medication is one of the most important things you need to take with you when moving. However, this is the item most people frequently forget. Medication comes in small containers that are easy to unwittingly leave behind.
- Photos: Memories are among the most precious items you have, and you should never leave your personal photos behind when moving. Make sure to pack them in the beginning so you don’t forget about them.
- Sentimental items: There are items you throw away during a move if you’re not using them, but there are also a couple of items you keep just for sentimental reasons. Bring these items with you, as you can come to regret it if you don’t.
Who offers the finest moving services in San Diego?
Getting rid of some of your stuff is only a single aspect of planning a successful move. It can only get more complicated from there, and you can easily get overwhelmed with it all. That is why you need to hire a moving company you can rely on to help you go through it all. Luckily, you always have Move Central to fall back on.
We are the most reputable moving company in all of San Diego and the surrounding area. No matter if you’re just moving from Downtown San Diego to somewhere else within the city, or to a distant location – we’re here for you. We will help you plan and execute your move without a hitch, and make it as carefree as possible. Contact us today!