What to Know When Hiring Movers?
When you’re thinking about hiring a moving company, you think it’s enough to know two main things – why you should hire professional movers in the first place, and how to choose the best moving company.
And you’d be right, to an extent. However, there is more to planning a hassle-free move. There are other aspects of hiring a moving company in San Diego you should pay attention to. Here’s what you should know before hiring movers.
What should I know when hiring a professional moving company?
Moving is a process that is emotionally draining. After all, you’re relocating your entire life, having to pack it up and change it. However, although you cannot control your emotions, you can control other aspects of moving.
You need to know that it doesn’t have to get physically draining as well. Hiring professional movers is a great choice, especially if your household is rather large. But, there are things you need to pay attention to when hiring a moving company.
What type of movers should I hire?
Before even starting to search for a dependable moving company, you need to be aware of the type of move you will make. The type of move you need to do will determine the type of movers you need.
The three basic types of moves people make are interstate and intrastate moves. Not all moving companies perform all three, so this can narrow your choice substantially.
- Local move – Any move that is under 50 miles is a local move. This is the most common type of relocating and virtually all movers offer this service.
- Intrastate move – All relocations that involve you and the movers remaining within the same state during the move is an intrastate move.
- Interstate move – This type of moving involves you and the movers having to cross the state border in order to complete the relocation.
How do I perform research prior to hiring movers?
It’s always advisable to research at least ten moving companies before making your choice. Not all movers are reliable and reputable, and combing through all of them properly is very important. Here’s how you can research moving companies:
- Go online and research their service history.
- Ask about their credentials.
- Ask the right questions, like who will do the packing.
- Inquire about the details of the move.
- Watch out for the following signs of rouge movers and moving scams:
- Big downpayment
- Unmarked moving truck
- No insurance, no licence, no local address
- No estimate
- Bad online ratings
- Unusually low rates
It is only by doing thorough research that you can rest easy knowing that you’ve hired dependable professional movers to help you get through your relocation easily.
How do I understand mover estimates?
Estimates presented to you by professional moving companies can get a little confusing. However, this can also be a telltale sign of a moving company you should not hire. If movers are not willing to explain the different estimates to you, you should definitely keep looking.
But, once you do find the right movers for you, everything should transpire smoothly and they will keep you in the loop at all times. That being said, it doesn’t hurt to be prepared and be familiar with the three different types of moving estimates.
- Non-binding estimate – Movers make this kind of estimate based on the projected weight of all the items belonging to the client. Since it’s not binding, it’s not set in stone and will very likely change once movers establish the actual weight of all the belongings.
A moving company that offers only a non-binding estimate is not considered the most professional. Sometimes, movers will give you a low estimate so you would hire them, only to then increase the costs upon more careful examination.
- Binding estimate – Similar to a non-binding estimate, a binding estimate also takes into account the weight of all the belongings involved in a move. However, a binding estimate means that the client pays an exact amount of money for the move, and that there will be no additional costs if the weight exceeds the estimate.
The largest benefit of a binding estimate is that you know how much you will be paying. However, sometimes a binding estimate can mean you’ll end up paying more than you were actually supposed to, since the weight can be lower than estimated. Always get quotes from multiple moving companies before making your choice.
- Binding not-to-exceed estimate – This type of estimate tends to be the most popular with the majority of clients looking to move. This means that the movers still make an estimate of the weight of all the belongings, but with a twist – if the weight exceeds the estimate, there will be no additional costs.
Also, this type of estimate entails that if the weight ends up less than what was estimated, the client ends up paying less than the agreed sum, since the movers eliminate all additional costs other than shipping costs. This type of estimate shows you’re dealing with a reputable moving company.
Which moving company in San Diego should I hire for my move?
If you’re planning to relocate, you should think about hiring the services of a dependable moving company. However, with so many professional and not-so-professional movers out there, making your choice is not easy. We know all you’d like is for movers to take care of the moving while you relax at Sunset Cliffs Natural Park.
Well, when you hire Move Central, you can do just that. We’re a team of reliable and experienced professional movers who will make your transition to a new life as easy as possible. When you hire Move Centra, you’re guaranteed a peace of mind. Contact us today!