When you’re planning a move, it’s important to know how to pack up your belongings and get them ready for moving. This especially rings true if you’re trying to make your move as stress-free as possible, as moving can get rather nerve-wracking very quickly.
Also, if you’re trying to save money while moving, and you’ve hired one of the local moving companies in San Diego to handle only moving and not packing, it’s important to pack beforehand, as it’s part of good moving day etiquette. This will save the movers’ time and effort, and make your move faster. Here’s how to pack before a move.
How soon before moving should I start packing?
When you’re planning a move, packing is the most important part of it all, especially if you’re not hiring packing services from professional movers. However, there are several vital steps when planning your move, and they start weeks before you actually start packing anything:
- 6 – 8 weeks before moving day: This is the time for doing some initial preparation for packing. You should:
- Perform a brief clean of your entire home.
- Go through all the rooms in your home and decide what you’re keeping and what you’re getting rid of.
- Separate all the belongings you’re not taking with you and place them in a single space.
- 5 weeks before moving day: This is the time for you to eliminate all the belongings you’re not taking to your new home:
- Sell any items in order to earn some money while preparing a move.
- If there are items not worth selling, try donating them.
- Get rid of all your old furniture you’re not planning to take with you.
- 4 weeks before moving day: This is the time to choose how you’re going to move all your belongings:
- Get quotes from at least three different moving companies.
- Perform online research.
- Request a professional mover to come to your home for an on-site estimate.
- Check if the company and the movers are licensed and insured.
- 3 weeks before moving day: Finally, it’s time to start packing your belongings. There are three very important packing tips for you to keep in mind:
- Gather all your valuables in a single place and take care of them.
- Here on out, pack a box or two every day before movers come.
- Pack a day box that will include all the items you’ll need close to you for the day of the move, like medications, toiletries, clothes, etc.
What is the first thing to pack when moving?
The first things you should pack when moving should always be items that are completely non-essential. That includes various items you’re not likely to be needing during the two or three weeks of the packing process. You should always pack the following items first:
- Artwork: Pack up all your framed photographs, paintings, and pictures, as well as all the vases, holiday ornaments, and other decorative items around your home.
- Collectibles: Next, make sure to pack all the collectibles, such as action figures, photo albums, model sets, and coin collections.
- Magazines and books: Find small and sturdy boxes and pack all your magazines and books into them. However, don’t overpack them, as books and magazines are very heavy.
- Shoes and clothes: Gather all the clothes you’re not planning on wearing until the moving day and pack them up in adequate containers. Do the same with shoes – a single pair or two should be plenty for a couple of weeks.
- Jewelry: Always pack all your jewelry first so you avoid leaving any of your precious items behind on moving day.
- Kitchenware: Finally, pack all but the essential kitchenware you’ll be using for a couple of weeks leading up to the move.
What should you pack last when moving?
There are some items you should pack as close to the moving day as possible. These are things you’re likely to be using every day until the move, or items you think you might need at a certain time before a move. When packing, leave the following items for the very end:
- Documents: Your personal documents will remain with you, but you might need your contract with the moving company, a copy of the rental lease, and similar documents ready for moving day, so you should not pack them until everything’s done.
- Medicine and toiletries: You will need both your personal hygiene items and your medication every day until the actual moving day, so you should pack them at the very end.
- Connection devices: Electronics, such as your phone, chargers, and extension cords might come in handy during the few weeks of packing, so leave those for the day before moving day.
- Cleaning materials: Unless you opt to hire a professional cleaning service, you should keep cleaning materials handy for the last day, as you will have to clean your property before leaving it.
- Bedding: Finally, pack the sheets, blankets, and pillows you’ve been using on the morning of the moving day, before the movers arrive.
Book a move with the best among local moving companies in San Diego!
Knowing how to pack up your belongings prior to a move is paramount for making sure your move is as quick and efficient as humanly possible. However, you can also decide to rid yourself of the trouble of packing and moving on your own and hire the best local moving and packing company in all of San Diego – Move Central!
We are here to help you pack your home up, load all your belongings onto a moving truck, relocate you to a new location, and then help you unpack once there. No matter if you’re only moving to a location near the Gaslamp Quarter, or to a completely new state. We’re here to help you make your move smooth. Contact us today!