Guide to Unloading and Unpacking a Truck
Relocating to a new apartment or house in a new city is usually very exciting. However, if you don’t have a clear idea how the process should look like, this can be very stressful and exhausting. Not to mention that it will take you a whole day, and that’s not how you’d like to spend your weekends and holidays.
However, knowing the right steps to prepare, pack and unpack can make the process feel effortless. If you simply lack time and energy, no worries! Hire local professionals that render truck unloading services in San Diego and the vicinity, and relax. Read on to learn more about correct steps and how much time it’ll take to unpack.
How long does it take to unload a moving truck?
As a rule of thumb, you’ll need more time to pack a truck than to unpack it. When it comes to time needed to unload it, you should consider these main factors: the number of items, size of the vehicle and the size of the workforce. Also, it makes a huge difference if you’re dealing with experienced moving professionals or with aspiring amateurs.
On average, a team of two seasoned experts would need approximately:
- 1 – 2 hours for a smaller, 10-feet vehicle,
- 2 – 3 hours for a medium, 16-feet vehicle,
- 3 – 4 hours for a larger, 26-feet vehicle.
This time can vary if you have more boxes with fragile items or furniture that cannot be carried by a single person. In addition, the overall distance between the vehicle and the front door of your new residence plays an important role. Of course, you can assist your team of professionals to make the whole unpacking process easier and faster. For your own safety, leave the most difficult tasks up to the experts.
How to unload a moving truck the right way?
If you’ve followed the guidelines on how to safely and correctly pack and load items to the vehicle when you moved, you have already set the stage for quick and safe unpacking. However, keep in mind the following checklist to prevent unpleasant surprises:
- Open the storage doors carefully. This is a crucial first step, as some boxes and items would have shifted in transport, and you don’t want anything to hit the pavement. To prevent unwanted accidents, slowly extend the doors and prepare the ramp.
- Start with bulky appliances first. This can be a tricky part, and you want to be sure to avoid damage. Sometimes, the heaviest appliances require three pairs of hands to be properly carried. Make a clear plan and map possible obstacles, to ensure that your belongings are delivered safely.
- Follow with wardrobe boxes. These should be the second heaviest items in your household. If you wish, you can unpack the boxes in the vehicle and carry them in parts.
- Carry the furniture. Whether you have taken the furniture apart or decided to transport it as-is, you’ll probably need to coordinate with at least one other person.
- Follow with labeled boxes. Now you can start carrying boxes with other household items. Proper labelling should allow you to quickly determine where the contents belong.
- Remove safety straps and blankets, or any other items that you attached to boxes to prevent damage in transit.
- Inspect the storage area carefully. After you’re done unpacking, use a battery lamp to carefully inspect the vehicle and see if anything fell out. Another advice: always keep the most precious items with you or at least in your own car.
- Clean the vehicle and fill the tank. You’ve agreed to return the vehicle in original condition, so keep in mind the amount of fuel used and mop or vacuum the storage space.
Once you have checked all the boxes on the list, you can be relieved to enjoy your first day and save energy for unpacking. First things first, take a break to celebrate a job well done.
Where can I find a specialized team for comprehensive truck-unloading in San Diego?
When you’re making a big change in your life, you want to make sure that everything goes well. However, it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to rely fully on your family or friends. Fortunately, there’s an easy fix! If you’re moving anywhere across San Diego County, you can rely on Move Central.
Whether you need some help with a single task, like unpacking or packing, or you need someone to handle your whole relocation from A to Z, we can make it so. Our vetted and friendly professionals will use cutting-edge equipment and expertise to facilitate your relocation and will adjust to your specific requirements. With your mind at ease after your move, you’ll have time and energy to enjoy a baseball match at Petco Park or visit some of the wonderful beaches around San Diego. Call us today and relieve the heavy burden off your shoulders!