How to Plan and Organize a Long Distance Move
Moving to a new home is an extremely complex and stressful process that can unnerve even the most level-headed individuals. Things only get more complicated if your new place is located in a different city, state, or even country.
In addition to all the tasks, planning, and micromanagement that goes into a regular move, long-distance moving in San Diego also requires you to make additional arrangements, spend more time traveling, and pay more to have your possessions transported to your new home.
In previous articles, we explained how movers can help you disassemble your furniture and provided you with a few tips on how to prepare your stuff for the movers. Now we’ll give you some advice on how to make your long-distance move as hassle-free as possible. Keep reading to learn more.
How to plan a long-distance move?
As always, planning is key. If you carefully organize everything from the start, you won’t get overwhelmed by all the little details that pop up along the way. So grab a pen and a piece of paper, and write down everything that should be done between the day you decide to move and the day your movers arrive at your home.
This plan should include the following details:
- If you have children, notify their current school about the move and find them new schools 6-7 weeks prior to moving
- Make a list of long-distance moving companies in your area, compare them, and book your move at least 4-8 weeks in advance
- Sort out your stuff and dispose of, donate, give away, or sell anything you don’t need
- Notifying your insurer, bank, and other crucial service providers 6-7 weeks before your move
- Start packing your possessions 2-3 weeks in advance
- Disconnect utilities such as the internet, electricity, and water at least 4 weeks prior to your move
- Inform doctors, lawyers, neighbors, and dentists 4 weeks before the move
Remember that even two cities within the same state can differ in their local culture and way of life. These differences only get more extreme if you’re moving to a different country or even continent.
- Before moving, make sure to thoroughly research your new area
- Examine the local job market and schooling options in your new city
- Inspect available housing options and find a new home
- Learn as much as you can about the weather in your future neighborhood
- Familiarize yourself with the local laws and regulations
How do I make a long-distance move easier?
Choosing the right long-distance moving company can greatly simplify any move. Efficient movers will not only ensure your belongings arrive at their destination undamaged, they will also provide you with packing boxes, pack your stuff, and even disassemble and assemble your furniture for you.
By having your movers take care of these things, you’ll have more time and energy to deal with the other parts of your moving plan, or catch a much-needed breather by spending a leisurely afternoon at the Bonita Cove with your loved ones.
Who provides the most reliable long-distance moving services in San Diego?
Are you moving to an apartment a couple of blocks away from your old home? Or maybe you’re planning a long-distance move to a different city, state, or even country? Wherever your new home may be located, you can count on Move Central to transfer your possessions there in a safe, timely, and convenient manner.
We’re a fully licensed and insured moving company in San Diego that provides the full range of moving services. We rigorously vet all of our movers and use only cutting-edge tools and equipment. Book your move today.