The idea of getting all the furnishings you need for your new place before you move seems great on paper. After all, who wouldn’t want to relocate their family to a fresh new home that already looks and feels complete, and perfectly fits their needs?
Unfortunately, this is much easier said than done. In the following article, we’ll answer the age-old question of whether you should purchase new furniture before your movers in Coronado arrive or wait until after you’ve already settled into your new place. Read on.
When should you start buying furniture for a new house?
It depends. While there are quite a few advantages to buying all new furniture before moving, there are some significant disadvantages as well. You should consider all of them carefully before making a decision.
Here are the pros and cons of buying furniture before the move:
- You’ll have a lot more time to shop for the right furnishings, at least when it comes to essential items such as beds and dinner tables.
- Buying in advance enables you to take advantage of seasonal sales and other discounts.
- If you’re moving to another city, shopping in your old city will generally save you money because you already know where you can get the best items at the best prices.
- It’ll make it easier for you to focus on other things after your move, such as finding a job, getting acclimated to your new area, enrolling your kids in the Coronado High School, and so on.
- With all the major furnishings already bought, you won’t have to make significant rearrangements in your new home later on.
- Furniture is bulky, so not only will it have to be disassembled prior to the move (which makes packing more difficult), there’s also a considerable chance that something may get damaged during the move.
- Relocating furniture can be costly. You’ll need a truck that’s big enough to fit all of the furniture and you’ll need someone to load and unload it. If you’ve hired professional movers, the weight, complexity, and the time it takes to move your furniture are all factors that can increase the cost of the move.
- You won’t have a real sense of your new place since you’ve never actually lived there. This will make it difficult to pick the right shape, style, and size of furniture in a way that compliments the space and enhances the natural flow of movement within it.
Should you buy furniture before or after you move in?
As you can see from the above list, there’s no clear-cut answer to this question. Your best bet is to think about it for at least a few weeks, and discuss it with the other members of your household before making any final decisions.
Whatever you do, never buy furniture if your big moving day is just a week away, as that doesn’t give you nearly enough time to shop around. If you have to purchase an essential item such as a bed to sleep on, go for a budget-friendly option that can be easily replaced at a later date.
Where can I hire the most reliable movers in Coronado?
Even a lengthy and complicated move can seem easy when you have the right Coronado movers on your side. Move Central is a 5-star moving company that boasts a track record of over 40 thousand successful moves and more than 1500 positive reviews.
In addition to top-of-the-line moving services, we also offer our customers free boxes, 1-month free storage, and discounts for both local and long distance moves. Give us a call today.